August 7, 2013
Wednesday Link List: John Lennon, Christian Email Hoaxes, and More
The best ministry links on the web, or your money back.
Is it Wednesday already? Time for another list of links of interest to people like you from blogs and websites great and small.
- How about a 19-second video to kick things off? (Apologies to those who clicked!)
- Frank Viola offers a completely different take on the spiritual life of John Lennon.
- What did the Pope really say in that in-flight news conference? One writer thinks it's not exactly what was reported.
- You thought there were fewer this year and you were right. Stats on why not as many churches are doing VBS.
- Got the standard 2.3 kids? John Wesley would not approve. I suppose you could call this an article about being procreative.
- A UK church organist, 68, was walking to a midnight Christmas Eve service as he had done for 40 years when two men, both 22, beat him to death in a motiveless attack. Now, his widow offers a message of forgiveness.
- Essay of the Month for June (but you may not like it): The atheist daughter of a noted Christian apologist shares her story so far.
- Related: An Atheism, Theism, Agnosticism, Gnosticism infographic.
- Essay of the Week: Ten things church worship leaders want the rest of us to understand.
- Related: What if we looked at our church's corporate worship time as a spiritual discipline?
- The year isn't even over and already we have a winner for the worst reporting of a religious story in 2013.
- I'll let Michael Frost Tweet this intro: "The conservative journal Christianity Today makes the case for welcoming same-sex couples to church."
- A blog to know about: Jesus I Will Follow You is a tumblr that answers questions from young readers on tough subjects.
- From my own blog this week: A blog summary on the Presbyterian Church USA's "In Christ Alone" hymnbook controversy and a look at same sex marriage in the Anglican Church of Canada.
- It's easy to deal with what's appropriate beachwear for women when you're on a Christian radio show. It's harder when it's your own 13-year old daughter.
- Rob Bell is offering two more of his 2-day conferences in September and October that are already renowned for their lunch break to go surfing.
- Music to brighten your day: Shine Bright Baby's song from their new album Dreamers; enjoy Beautiful Love.
- A link that takes you to more links: An Arizona pastors offers a 6-part blog series on the sins pastors commit including letting their wives manage everything on the homefront.
- Here's a March post which is a link to ten articles at the blog "Canon Fodder" by the author of The Question of Canon on -- wait for it -- ten things you should know about the New Testament canon.
- In searching through blogs I had bookmarked months earlier, I landed on this very succinct post which I offer for your prayer consideration.
- Before you hit the FWD button next time, here's four reasons that Christians need to stop forwarding hoax emails.
- A historic Roman Catholic Church that is already a shrine to a saint whose legacy is devotion to animals plans to set aside a memorial space for Fido and Fluffy.
- Your assignment: Write a modern worship chorus utilizing the titles of television soap operas. [Warning: Consumes 4.5 valuable minutes]
- Finally, a reminder for the end of the week, end of the month, end of the summer, or anytime you need a reminder.
Paul Wilkinson's Christian music collection impinges on several rooms in the house, which is why his wife likes his link collection, which all fits neatly on his hard drive.