October 2, 2013
Wednesday Link List: A Homeless Wedding Reception, Billboard Ministry, and More
Might as well face it, you are addicted to links.
[B]link and you'll miss it!
- Usually the video links come near the end. But not when it's a new song by Gungor.
- So why does Compassion invite online writers to apply for one of their overseas trips if they only choose A-list faith bloggers?
- Apparently a respected Canadian Bible college has some history with the world's favorite funeral protestor.
- If 150 churches donated $1,000, it would buy a home for Saeed Abedini's family. Meanwhile, Billy Graham asks Iran's President for Saeed's release, as does President Obama.
- Two architectural firms are set to begin the transformation of the former Crystal Cathedral into a Catholic-friendly facility.
- Seven years later, the wife of the Amish schoolhouse shooter breaks her silence.
- A Chinese pastor thinks Rick Warren needs a lesson in cultural sensitivity, while the blogger known as Naked Pastor discusses the same adapted Red Guard propaganda poster.
- A Wisconsin truck driver has so far spent over half a million dollars funding a billboard ministry on major highways.
- A pastor in Louisiana was shot to death during a Friday night church service. Then, after reading that, the story gets worse a few days later.
- When their daughter's wedding was canceled, the parents of the bride invited 200 homeless people to the four-course meal that would have been the reception.
- Essay(s) of the Week: A tie between two pieces by Hannah Anderson, her piece on Childlessness, and an open letter to her insurance company.
- Married people remember their single days with affection, but for those still single, their experience doesn't match the stories.
- Why clergy shouldn't dispense medical advice: Women who drive automobiles risk damaging their ovaries.
- A Church planter proves the axiom that hindsight is always 20/20 .
- History Lesson: Once upon a time, people wrote music reviews of new albums.
- Some pastoral leadership errors can be overcome, but there are three mistakes you really want to avoid.
- Church. It is the best of times, it is the worst of times. But it's the best because of what Jesus is doing.
- Speculative Church History Department: Would U.S. President Barak Obama bomb the Canaanites?
- Speculative Music History Department: What if The Beatles sang theology?
- The problem with prostitution is that we sugarcoat it instead of seeing it as a form of rape.
- Bible Translation of the Week: The International Standard Version, version 2.0 (that would be the ISV-V2.0)
- Alternative Bible Version of the Week: God is Disappointed in You; by humorist Mark Russell along with a cartoonist from New Yorker magazine.
- Also in the humor section of your local e-bookstore is Joel Osteen's Jokes: Collection of Joel Osteen's Funniest Short, Clean Jokes. Apparently this is the latest in the potentially copyright-infringing series called Joel's Gems.
- Seems like everywhere you turn, there is a television show with a faith-based theme.
- On my own blog this week: Don't even think about sinning.
- Finally, there are some great articles online promoting Christian higher education, and then, on the other hand, there's what some consider hype and propaganda.